15-year-old Prescott teen credited for saving cousin's life
PRESCOTT--It is a good thing Brad Schommer remembered what he learned about Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) when he was in school.
Otherwise, one of his cousins might have died.
On the night of Aug. 24, two-month-old Joe Magee stopped breathing while in his car seat riding from grandparents Gordy and Julie’s Magee house on Laura Street in Prescott to his parents’ Ann and Mike Magee house on Pearl Street.
Julie went to take him out of his car seat and found Joe pale and limp. She attempted to arouse him by shaking him and yelling his name. He was unresponsive and breathing. 911 was soon called.
Schommer, 15, was along and said he knew CPR. Ann said Brad laid Joe down in the garage and started performing CPR, and was able to get him breathing as he started crying.
Prescott Emergency Medical Services (EMS) were on scene within five minutes after notification and transferred Joe to United Children’s Hospital in St. Paul.
Ann explained doctors there told her Joe had an Apparent Life Threatening Event (ALTE). They believe it was caused by a combination between an upper respiratory infection and Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).
“The theory is that while in the car seat Joe refluxed and his body stopped breathing in an effort to protect his airway,” Ann said. “They (doctors) do not know if he would have recovered on his own without intervention.”
It’s an opinion shared by Prescott EMS as well.
“In my professional opinion along with the crew who was on scene, if it wasn’t for the effort of (Schommer), the outcome would have been gravely different,” EMS Head Bill Dravis said.
Joe was discharged two days later after tests performed were found negative and he had no further breathing episodes.
Dravis said Schommer will be recognized for his efforts, likely occurring at a city council meeting.