Notice of Complete Application for
Proposed Riprap and Dredging
Northern Natural Gas Company (NNG), 1650 W. 82nd Street, Suite 1250, Bloomington, MN, 55431 has applied to the Department of Natural Resources for a permit to remove material from the bed and install riprap on the bed and banks of the Rush River. The project is needed to protect 16-feet of an exposed natural gas pipeline in the waterway.
The project is located south of 465th Avenue, in the NW1/4 of the NE1/4 of Section 33, Township 26 North, Range 16 West, Town of El Paso, Pierce County.
The Department has determined that the application is complete and is currently evaluating the applicant's proposal. The Department must consider factual information about the following legal standards in deciding whether to issue, modify, or deny the approval or permit to the applicant:
* Whether navigation is materially obstructed, including commercial, recreational, active and passive forms of navigation
* Whether there is detriment to the public interest, including fish and wildlife or their habitat, natural scenic beauty or water quality
* Whether the flood flow capacity of a stream is materially reduced
The Department will follow the steps below to reach its final decision on the application:
1. Review the plans and information provided by the applicant.
2. Review the information from public comments.
3. Review the information presented at a public informational hearing if one is requested.
4. Review the information found in natural resource inventories and plans, maps, or data
collected by the Department or others using commonly accepted methods.
5. Determine whether the proposed project or activity complies with s. 1.11, Stats [the Wisconsin Environmental Policy Act], and ch. NR 150, Wis. Adm. Code.
The Department has made a tentative determination that it will issue a permit with conditions for the proposed project.
If you would like to know more about this project or would like to see the application and plans, contact Benjamin Callan (OE/7), 101 S. Webster St., PO Box 7921, Madison, phone number 608.266.3524.
Reasonable accommodation, including the provision of informational material in an alternative format, will be provided for qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
Any member of the public may submit written comments to the address above by U.S. mail. Comments should include the docket number or applicant name. If no public informational hearing is held on this application, comments must be postmarked no later than 30 days following the date of publication of this notice. If a public informational hearing is held, comments must be postmarked no later than 10 days following the date on which the hearing is completed.
If notice of a public informational hearing is not included in this notice of complete application, no public informational hearing will be held unless the Department receives a request for hearing. If no hearing is requested, the Department may issue its decision without a hearing.
Any person may request a public informational hearing by writing to the address above by U.S. mail postmarked no later than 30 days following publication of this notice. A request for hearing must include the docket number or applicant name and specify the issues that the party desires to be addressed at the informational hearing. Because the Department must base its decision to issue or deny the permit or approval on whether the project or activity meets the legal standards listed above, the issues raised should relate to those standards.
The final decision may be appealed as indicated in the decision document.
Docket Number IP-WC-2009-48-N04100, N04102
WISCONSIN DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
For the Secretary
Benjamin Callan Date
Water Management Specialist
Published August 12, 2009 32 1C