Bill requiring carbon monoxide detectors in homes passes lstate legislature
MADISON - Both houses of the state Legislature gave final approval yesterday to a bill requiring carbon monoxide detectors in one-and-two-family homes. The Assembly approved it 69-to-26, after the Senate okayed it on a voice vote.
The mandate now goes to Governor Jim Doyle. It requires C.O. detectors on all floors, including basements. One of the opponents, Assembly Republican Robin Vos of Racine County, said we don't need quote, "nanny government deciding what's best for families."
The law would take effect next February, and there's no penalty for violating it. Homes without fireplaces, fuel-burning appliances, and attached garages would be exempt.