Roberts woman dies after house fire
Roberta Eastman, 66, has died Wednesday, Jan. 8, from severe injuries suffered during a house fire in the village of Roberts, 61 Frank St., Tuesday night, Jan. 7.
Said Roberts Police Department Police Chief: “My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Roberta at this difficult time.
The blaze started at 6:30 p.m. and remains under investigation. Foul play is not suspected.
Rescuers – Roberts police officer Todd Shafer and State Trooper Robert Unruh -- found Eastman inside the house and were able to get her out.
She was taken to Hudson Hospital and then on to Regions Hospital in St. Paul.
The Wisconsin fire marshal is conducting the cause and origin investigation of the blaze. It’s believed a lit cigarette was at least partly to blame.
Many fire departments responded, including River Falls, Roberts, Baldwin, Hammond and New Richmond. The St. Croix Sheriff’s Department also was involved in investigating the fire.