Time to caucus
Minnesotans who want to get involved in the political process have the chance to attend caucuses early next month.
Most parties are holding their caucus meetings on Feb. 4 throughout the state, including in Goodhue County.
Caucuses are the first steps for party members to select candidates and also to solidify the party platform, its list of goals and values.
Precinct caucuses are open to the public, according to the Minnesota Secretary of State, but to vote, offer resolutions or be able to become a delegate attendees must be eligible to vote in the November election, live in the precinct and generally agree with the political party’s principles.
More information about caucuses is available at the Secretary of State’s website www.sos.state.mn.us. The office also offers a caucus locator at http://caucusfinder.sos.state.mn.us/ that will find party meetings by residents’ addresses.
Here are caucus locations in Goodhue County as provided by the parties:
The Goodhue County Republican Party will hold caucuses at 7 p.m. Feb. 4. Sites are:
• Cannon Falls High School — Cannon Falls (precincts 1 and 2), Cannon Falls Township, Leon Township, Welch Township, Dennison, Stanton Township and Warsaw township
• Florence Town Hall — Florence Township and Lake City ward 4
• Goodhue School — Belle Creek Township, Bellechester, Belvidere Township, Goodhue Township and Goodhue
• Kenyon-Wanamingo Elementary School — Cherry Grove Township, Wanamingo and Wanamingo Township
• Kenyon-Wanamingo High School — Kenyon, Kenyon Township and Holden Township
• Pine Island Public School — Pine Island Township, Pine Island and Roscoe Township
• Red Wing High School — all Red Wing wards and precincts, Hay Creek Township, Vasa Township, Featherstone Township and Wacouta Township
• Zumbrota-Mazeppa High School — Minneola Township, Zumbrota (Wards 1 and 2) and Zumbrota Township
The Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party will hold its precinct caucuses at 7 p.m. Feb. 4. Sites in Goodhue County are:
• Cannon Falls Elementary School — Cannon Falls (Precincts 1 and 2), Cannon Falls Township, Leon Township• Goodhue Public Schools — Belle Creek Township, Bellechester, Belvidere Township, Goodhue Township and Goodhue
• Kenyon-Wanamingo Elementary School — Cherry Grove Township, Roscoe Township, Wanamingo, Wanamingo Township, Holden Township, Kenyon and Kenyon Township
• Lake City High School — Florence Township and Lake City
• Northfield Middle School — Dennison, Stanton Township and Warsaw Township
• Pine Island High School — Pine Island and Pine Island Township
• Twin Bluff Middle School (Red Wing) — Featherstone Township, Hay Creek Township, all Red Wing wards and precincts, Vasa Township, Wacouta Township and Welch Township
• Zumbrota-Mazeppa High School — Minneola Township, Zumbrota (Precincts 1 and 2) and Zumbrota Township
The Independence Party will hold an online caucus at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 4. Visit www.mnip.org/get-involved/caucuses/live-online-caucus then to participate.