Petting-zoo causes outbreak of cryptosporidiosis in Red WingArea News
-- Two people contracted cryptosporidiosis and more than a dozen others got sick after attending a local petting zoo March 31, state health officials said.
RED WING - Two people contracted cryptosporidiosis and more than a dozen others got sick after attending a local petting zoo March 31, state health officials said.
The Minnesota Department of Health issued an alert to health care providers Wednesday afternoon after laboratory tests confirmed two people picked up the parasite, which causes severe watery diarrhea.
The Humane Society of Goodhue County had a one-day petting zoo and photo shoot at its shelter on Bench Street. Fifteen visitors and staff members have been identified so far, all with symptoms consistent with “crypto” infection, according to a release from Goodhue County Health & Human Services.
Colleen LaVine, infection prevention coordinator for the Fairview Red Wing Medical Center, said it’s fortunate the humane society had everyone sign a roster, which officials used to track people down.
“In another circumstance they might not have a clear idea of who all was there,” she said Thursday.
All on the list have been contacted. If they have or had symptoms — diarrhea, stomach cramps, vomiting, loss of appetite, weight loss and low-grade fever — they were asked to follow up with their care provider.