Bridge set to close in western Pierce CountyDrivers in the town of Clifton who use the County Road F bridge near the entrance to Kinnickinnic State Park will have to find alternative routes until mid-fall.
By: Phil Pfuelher- River Falls Journal, Pierce County Herald
CLIFTON - Drivers in the town of Clifton who use the County Road F bridge near the entrance to Kinnickinnic State Park will have to find alternative routes until mid-fall.
Pierce County Highway Commissioner Chad Johnson said the Clifton Hollow Bridge over the Kinnickinnic River will be closed for replacement after Memorial Day.
Tentative construction start-up is Wednesday, May 30. The bridge’s actual demolition will likely be early June and take a couple of days.
There will also be related repairs done on County F from north of 770th Avenue to north of 820th Avenue -- this includes reconstruction of the County Highway FF intersection.
This stretch of roadwork is just under 1.6 miles, running 4,100 feet south of the bridge to 3,500 feet to the north.
According to Johnson, the $4.9-million project replaces the aging bridge, improves road alignment and adds “truck climbing (slow) lanes” on both the northbound and southbound hills to the bridge.
The project’s funding is 80% paid for by state and federal governments. Pierce County picks up the remaining 20%.
County Road F will be closed to traffic until early November when construction should be done.
Johnson said the closure includes the Kinnickinnic State Park parking lot on County Road F north of the bridge.
Access from the north to the park and to Clifton Hollow Golf Course can still be made on 820th Avenue. Residents living in the construction zone will also have continued road access during the project.