VILLAGE OF ELLSWORTH: Ordinance No. 625 (Firearms and Guns)VILLAGE OF ELLSWORTH
VILLAGE OF ELLSWORTH
ORDINANCE NO. 625
An Ordinance to amend Sec. 9.02 of the
Municipal Code of the Village of Ellsworth,
Discharging and Carrying Firearms and Guns.
WHEREAS, the Wisconsin Legislature has adopted Wis. Stats. Sec. 175.60, effective November 19, 2011, permitting certain persons to carry concealed weapons; and
WHEREAS, the Wisconsin Legislature has adopted Wis. Stats. Sec. 167.31, effective November 19, 2011, permitting the transportation of uncased firearms, bows, or crossbows; and
WHEREAS, the Village Board has heretofore regulated the discharge and carrying of firearms under Section 9.02 of the Municipal Code of the Village of Ellsworth, and has adopted Ordinance No. 618 amending said Section; and
WHEREAS, the Village Board deems it expedient and necessary to make further changes to Section 9.02;
NOW THEREFORE, the Village Board of the Village of Ellsworth Does Hereby Ordain as follows:
Section 1. Section 9.02 is hereby amended to read as follows:
"DISCHARGING AND CARRYING FIREARMS AND GUNS.
(1) No person, except a law enforcement officer as defined in Wis. Stats. 165.85(2)(c), shall fire or discharge any firearm, rifle, spring or air gun within the Village, except as might otherwise be justified by Wis. Sec. 895.62.
(2) No person, except a law enforcement officer as defined in Wis. Stats. 165.85(2)(c), may carry a concealed weapon as defined in Wis. Stats. Sec.175.60, (1)(ag) and (j), unless the person is a “licensee” as defined by Wis. Stats. Sec. 175.60 (1)(d) or has an “out-of-state-license” as defined by Wis. Stats. Sec. 175.60(1)(f).
(3) No person may enter or remain at a special event while carrying a firearm if the organizers of the special event have notified the actor not to enter or remain at the special event while carrying a firearm or with that type of firearm. This subsection does not apply, if the firearm is in a vehicle driven or parked in the parking facility, to any part of the special event grounds or building used as a parking facility. The term “special event” has the meaning set forth in Wis. Stats. Sec. 943.13(1e)(h). For purposes of this subsection the organizers of the special event have notified an individual not to enter or remain at the special event while carrying a firearm or with a particular type of firearm if the organizers have posted a sign that is located in a prominent place near all of the entrances to the special event and any individual attending the special event can be reasonably expected to see the sign.
(4) No person may transport a firearm, bow, or crossbow in or on a vehicle or all-terrain vehicle, unless the firearm is a handgun as defined in Wis. Stats. Sec. 175.60 (1)(bm), unless the firearm is unloaded, or unless the bow does not have an arrow nocked, or unless the crossbow is not cocked or is unloaded and enclosed in a carrying case. A loaded firearm, a bow that has an arrow nocked, or a crossbow that is cocked may be placed on the exterior of a vehicle or all-terrain vehicle provided that the vehicle or all-terrain vehicle is stationary as that term is defined by Wis. Stats. Sec. 167.31(1)(fg). No firearm, except a handgun as defined by Wis. Stats. Sec. 175.60 (1)(bm), bow, or crossbow may be loaded inside a vehicle.
(5) The Chief of Police may grant a permit for any shotgun or rifle to be discharged and to be carried outside of a carrying case or other suitable container for any lawful purpose such as pest extermination. Any such permit shall be for a term not exceeding 1 year, and such permits should be subject to revocation by the Chief of Police at any time a the Chief’s discretion. Such permits shall only be issued to adult residents of the Village of Ellsworth.”
Section 2. This Ordinance shall take effect upon passage and publication.
Passed and adopted on August 6, 2012
VILLAGE OF ELLSWORTH
/s/ Gerald DeWolfe, President
Attest: /s/ Peggy Nelson, Clerk
______________________________ (Pub. 8/15/12) WNAXLP