Gas leak contained after 90 minutes in TrentonSome residents had to be evacuated from their home Monday morning in the town of Trenton due to a reported gas leak.
Some residents had to be evacuated from their home Monday morning in the town of Trenton as a gas line was struck.
Pierce County Sheriff's Department deputies were called to the intersection of 803rd St. and 147th Ave. around 11 a.m. Upon their arrival, they found Larry Spindler, a township worker, was trying to replace a stop sign post that broke off. A tractor with an auger type post hole digger was being used to replace the post. Spindler said he was using the same pre-existing hole to replace the post. As he was using the auger, he struck the natural gas line. There were visible vapors shooting from the ground upon arrival of fire and law enforcement.
WE Energies had to be called from Durand to contain the gas leak. A one-block radius was evacuated as a precautionary measure. A portion of 150th Avenue was also closed down for a short time.
Deputy Adam Olson reports after nearly 90 minutes, WE Energies contained the leak and residents were allowed back in their home.
Ellsworth Fire and Ambulance were also on scene.