Weather Forecast


Letter: Contact Dayton about resolving tax dispute between states, he says

TO THE EDITOR: State Sen. Kathleen Vinehout is strongly encouraging those who live in Wisconsin and work in Minnesota to contact Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton as soon as possible, asking him to resolve the tax dispute between our two states.

When Govs. Pawlenty and Doyle held office, the long-standing tax reciprocity agreement between our two states fell apart. Now, employees who cross the state line to work must file tax returns in both states. This is not only an inconvenience, but in some cases people end up paying more taxes. In addition, businesses are required to withhold taxes due and make payments to the neighboring state.

It's not possible for a single legislator like Sen. Vinehout to reinstate the reciprocity agreement, which was in place for over 40 years. So, Sen. Vinehout has joined with other Western Wisconsin legislators is putting pressure on Govs. Dayton and Walker to resolve the problem.

A deadline is looming to complete a deal in time to make a difference for taxpayers in 2013. You can help. Sen. Vinehout is encouraging Wisconsin residents who work in Minnesota to contact Gov. Mark Dayton and ask him to resolve the issue. Gov. Dayton's office can be reached toll free at 1-800-657-3717 or by mail at 130 State Capitol, St. Paul, MN 55155. You can also email Gov. Dayton at