Grief group strives to bring comfort
Submitted by Cyndi Cashman
"Grieving is as natural as crying when you are hurt, sleeping when you are tired, or eating when you are hungry...It is nature's way of healing a broken heart." —Doug Manning
The death of someone we love changes our lives forever. And the movement from the "before" to the "after" is almost always a long, painful journey. Although grief cannot be structured into a set pattern, it is a natural process that is built within us to help us deal with our losses. Understanding the process and allowing it to happen are two important keys for navigating this path. Consider joining us for our introductory sessions of Healing Hurting Hearts Grief Support
Group, which offers a caring environment and helpful strategies for taking a few more steps toward healing our broken hearts. There is no cost to participate, and all ages of adults are welcome - whether dealing with fresh grief, supporting a friend or loved one going through the grief process, or still dealing with past grief due to the death of a loved one.
This support group is facilitated by Donna Mathiowetz, inspirational speaker and author who has
worked in the arena of loss and grief since 1997 following the death of two teenage sons within two years; Joann Vaughan, retired Mental Health Counselor having worked with all ages and varieties of challenges who is grieving the recent loss of her husband; and Lisa Benedict, licensed funeral director, bringing 18 years of experience helping families navigate through the grief process, and new business partner at O'Connell-Benedict Family Funeral Homes. Along with the support of Penny Peterson, Prescott Community Education Director and Cyndi Cashman, local business owner and community outreach liaison.
Sessions will take place 1-2:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Feb. 6—20 at The Senior Gathering Place, 1220 St. Croix St. (located within the Prescott Intermediate School).
• Feb. 6 — Donna Mathiowetz — Mind, Body, Spirit - Grief's Impact on our Whole Being
• Feb. 13 — Joann Vaughan — Our Grief Stories
• Feb. 20 — Lisa Benedict — What Helps when Your Heart is Hurting/Nurturing Your Soul in Grief
Followed by six weeks of grief group sessions:
• Tuesday, April 3 — Acknowledging the Reality of Death
• Tuesday, April 10 —Mind — Body- Spirit — Grief's Impact on Our Whole Being
• Tuesday, April 17 — You are Not Crazy
• Tuesday, April 24 — Exploring Your Feelings of Loss
• Tuesday, May 1 — Understanding the Six Central Needs of Mourning
• Tuesday, May 8 — Nurturing Self and Reconciling your Grief
Call with questions, or if you need travel accommodations — O'Connell-Benedict Family Funeral Home, 715-262-5404; Penny Peterson, 715-262-4676; or Cyndi Cashman 715-262-5198