Weather Forecast


Smoking materials may be cause of Menomonie fire that killed one

Menomonie's fire chief said a fatal house fire was an accident and it was probably caused by smoking materials.

John Vancil, 53, died from smoke inhalation and his dog was also killed. The blaze occurred on Monday and officials said it might have burned for some time before a neighbor saw it and called 911.

Fire chief Jack Baus there was evidence that cigarette smoking was taking place in the house and other causes have been ruled out.