Weather Forecast


Man charged with child abuse, intimidation

PRESCOTT --- A St. Paul man has been charged with physical abuse of a child, felony intimidation of a victim and battery resulting from an incident early last week in Prescott.

Eric R. Mitzuk, 29, has a preliminary hearing scheduled in Pierce County Circuit Court this Wednesday at 2 p.m.

According to a Prescott Police Department report, police arrived at 636 Hilton St., Prescott, around 9:22 p.m. Nov. 6 for a domestic complaint.

When they got there, they found Krista M. Skramstad, 41, and Skramstad's 17-year old niece crying in the living room, surrounded by neighbors, with Skramstad saying, "This is the last time I'm going to let him do this to me."

When asked if there was any damage done, the niece led the police into her room and showed the computer dresser had been knocked away from the wall, when Mitzuk allegedly pushed Skramstad into it.

The two were transported to the police department and interviewed separately. The following is from their testimonies.

Skramstad said, while at work, she had received a text message from a different niece, saying "I love you" and that it was to be sent to 10 different people, which she did, including to Mitzuk. He called her wondering who she sent the message to. She said he had also gone on the internet and looked up her phone records and was questioning her about who she called and who she sent the message to. Skramstad also added Mitzuk was upset, saying because she had called someone at 5:30 a.m., he needed to miss work. Skramstad ended that call because she was at work. She called him on her way home and they ended up arguing the entire time.

About an hour after she got home, her niece arrived, saying she needed to borrow Skramstad's car so she could drop off a movie, which she did. When her niece left, Mitzuk showed, not wanting to talk. Sensing his mood, Skramstad decided to make a bed in her niece's room for the night. She also told her niece to have her phone on in case Mitzuk got mad.

Moments later, Mitzuk knocked on the door, wanting to talk. Skramstad refused. Mitzuk then said he was going to disable her car, which got Skramstad out of bed.

When they talked, Skramstad emphasized she wanted to end the relationship, which made Mitzuk angry. Skramstad then left, heading back into her niece's room to go on the computer.

Mitzuk followed her into the room, running. His momentum knocked her off the chair and onto the floor. He then got on top of her, kicking and yelling at her. While defending herself in the fetal position, she grabbed for her niece's cell phone. Mitzuk beat her to it and, as the phone fell to the floor, he gripped her chest area with one hand and his other hand was hitting his own chest in the heart, saying, "How can you do this to me?" Skramstad told police she was convinced that, if Mitzuk had gotten the phone from her, they wouldn't be able to get any help.

Skramstad was able to get the phone to her niece to call for help. Her niece grabbed the phone and, at the same time, Mitzuk released Skramstad. He dared her niece to call the cop and, as she was beginning to open the flip cell phone, he stopped her by closing his hand around her, causing her pain and closing the phone. The niece said, "I'm a minor," to which Mitzuk replied, "I don't give a f___." Then, he closed both fists, jamming them into her chest, sending her slamming against the wall. He told the niece not to get involved and not to call police. She got away and ran out toward the front door.

Mitzuk followed her, preventing her from trying to call as Skramstad followed him. He changed his mind and charged back at Skramstad. She ran back toward her niece's bedroom, but he caught her and sent her flying into the computer dresser, which knocked it away from the wall, causing the only known property damage. Skramstad was also slammed on her bed in her bedroom as Mitzuk sat on top of her.

Meanwhile, the niece was in the hallway, yelling for someone to call the police, which a neighbor eventually did. Sensing that, Mitzuk got off of Skramstad and left in her car. Leaving, he told Skramstad, "This is the last time you'll see me alive."

The niece told police she was afraid Mitzuk was going to hurt her and do the same to Skramstad. She also added Mitzuk left two messages on her cell phone, with the first one in tears, saying, "I can't do this anymore," and the second one which he said, "I'm so sorry. Nobody understands me. Nobody understands how much anger I have and nobody lets me let it out."

This isn't the first time Mitzuk and Skramstad have a gotten into a dispute. Mitzuk filed a temporary restraining order against him in July, the same charge she filed as a result of this incident.

Mitzuk was eventually found and arrested on those charges around midnight Tuesday. Besides the previous restraining order, this isn't the first time he's caught the attention of local law enforcement. He's waiting for deferred prosecution/sentencing on a criminal trespass to dwell charge from last August. In 2003, he was found guilty of intentionally possessing ammonia without consent and, in 2002, he was found guilty of operating without a valid license and possessing drug paraphernalia.

Jason Schulte

Jason Schulte is a reporter for the New Richmond News since February 2015. Prior to that he spent eight years at the Pierce County Herald in Ellsworth. His duties with the News will include covering news out of Hammond and Roberts along with action from St. Croix County court system. He lives in Roberts. 

(715) 243-7767 x243