Weather Forecast


CRIME AND COURT ROUNDUP: Green Bay Police were targets of an online threat

GREEN BAY -- Green Bay Police were the targets of an online threat, in retaliation for a physical arrest that was captured on video.  A group claiming to be the global hackers' organization "Anonymous" posted a threatening video on You-Tube April 23rd, and it has since been removed.  W-I-S-N T-V in Milwaukee said the F-B-I is investigating the matter.  The group reportedly threatened the Green Bay Police Department, its officers' union, and the officer who arrested a Caledonia man outside a downtown Green Bay tavern on April 19th.  A by-stander made the video, which showed the veteran officer tackling and punching the man.  An internal Green Bay police investigation continues into the incident.  W-I-S-N said the threat was similar to one last month in Albuquerque New Mexico, that warned of a cyber-attack on that city's Web sites.  Albuquerque Police said its Web site was breached, but was back online the same day.


The murder of a Wisconsin student at Purdue University could end up making other people safer on that western Indiana campus.  A committee reviewed the school's security measures, after 21-year-old Andrew Boldt of West Bend was shot and killed in January while serving as a teaching assistant during a class session.  As a result of Boldt's death, the committee recommends that more students receive Purdue's emergency text messages.  Students must now actively choose to accept those texts, but the committee says they should automatically get them unless they opt-out.  Also, the panel said many people raised concerns about classrooms not having locks on their doors.  The report said it would cost about 500-dollars each to add locks to Purdue's 41-thousand-200 doors in the various classroom buildings.  A trial is still pending for a Purdue student charged with killing Boldt.


Six Wausau West high school students must perform community service before they get their disorderly conduct citations dropped for their recent battle with toy Nerf guns.  The school principal said on Monday that the youngsters are getting their 240-dollar tickets dismissed, and they'll have their school activity and athletic privileges restored.  Yesterday, Wausau Police Chief Jeff Hardel said the youngsters must take part in a video explaining the consequences of the Senior Shoot-out they were playing. The "Nerf Wars" game is a tradition among seniors at West High, but a resident called police last week after assuming that she saw a real gun battle play out in her neighborhood.  Hardel said people need to realize that Wausau has real gun incidents.  Despite some criticism, the chief defended his officers' response to what they thought was a high-risk crime scene based on the information they had at the time.  Hardel said the Nerf game has reached an unhealthy level -- and it could result in teens being hurt or killed someday.  The chief said he's heard from police departments with similar problems -- including Cincinnati -- since the Wausau case hit the media a week ago.


A judge in Milwaukee will be asked today to skip a trial, and rule against a convicted killer in a civil lawsuit against him.  77-year-old John Spooner was given a life prison term last summer, after he shot-and-killed a 13-year-old neighbor because he thought the boy stole his shotguns.  Darius Simmons was murdered in May of 2012.  Now, his mother -- Patricia Larry -- has asked the judge to enter a summary judgment against Spooner for civil damages.  Her attorneys say there's no point in holding a trial, because there's no question that Spooner killed the boy.  However, Spooner's lawyer says a trial is still necessary because there's a question about his sanity.  Last summer, a jury rejected claims that Spooner was insane when he killed his neighbor.  Right after the verdict was announced, Spooner wrote a handwritten note to the Journal Sentinel claiming both his lawyer and Milwaukee Police did not do their jobs in the way they handled the case.


A Milwaukee man was found innocent by insanity yesterday for a brutal attack on a pregnant neighbor and her ten-year-old daughter.  Prosecutors said 26-year-old Malcolm Wright busted into a neighbor's house last December with a sledge-hammer and a Samurai sword -- and he sliced the woman's arms and broke her ribs, while slashing the face of the young girl.  Officials said Wright has a long history of mental illness.  Circuit Judge Timothy Dugan said opinions from two mental health experts convinced him to make the insanity ruling on charges of reckless endangerment and child abuse.  Wright was ordered to be committed for mental treatment.  The terms of that commitment will be set at a court hearing on May 19th.