Barber pleads not guilty to child sex-assault charges
Daniel Barber pleaded not guilty this week to felony charges that he sexually assaulted young boys between June 2004 and February of this year.
Barber entered the plea June 10 after waiving a preliminary hearing on the seven most recent sex-assault charges against him, which were filed on April 30.
He had previously waived a preliminary hearing on a Feb. 24 complaint charging him with one count of child sexual assault and six counts of possessing child pornography.
Each sex-assault charge carries a maximum 60-year prison sentence. The child-pornography charges carry maximum 25-year prison sentences and/or maximum $100,000 fines.
No trial date has been set, pending a 1 p.m. Aug. 6 status conference scheduled this week by St. Croix County Circuit Judge Scott R. Needham.
Defense attorney Mark Gherty told Needham that he intended to file a discovery motion soon involving recordings, transcripts and other evidence gathered by law enforcement, including the Wisconsin Division of Criminal Investigation and the FBI.
Needham set a June 26 deadline for Gherty’s discovery motion, a July 18 deadline for prosecutor Michael Nieskes’ response brief and a July 25 deadline for Gherty’s reply.
After this week’s hearing, Nieskes said in a brief interview that it was “possible” but “not expected” that Barber’s trial date could be set at the Aug. 6 status conference.
Needham noted that both complaints against Barber had been joined for pre-trial purposes only. No joinder motion has yet been filed in the case, which, if granted, would combine the cases for trial purposes as well.
Barber remains free on $75,000 cash bail and an order that he have no contact with any minor children -- and specifically those mentioned in the complaints.