Weather Forecast


Minnesota News Roundup: Senate to vote on same-sex marriage amendment today

A final vote today (noon debate start) at the state Legislature on legalizing same-sex marriage in Minnesota. The Senate is expected to pass the bill and send it to Governor Dayton for his signature. Today's historic vote comes just two years after the then Republican-controlled legislature put a constitutional amendment on the ballot to *ban* same-sex marriage -- which voters rejected last fall.


An agreement has been reached on the state budget for 2014-15. Governor Mark Dayton says it will create jobs and invest in education and that, "Its a budget that is going to work for Minnesota, it's going to put Minnesota to work." House Speaker Paul Thissen says the plan balances the budget in 14-15, and achieves longterm structural balance in the following biennium, "Without gimmicks." The plan will pay back the money borrowed from schools and invests $725 million in education. Senate Majority Leader Tom Bakk says it also provides $400 million in property tax relief, and makes tax reforms that include asking the wealthiest 2 percent to pay more in taxes, closes corporate tax loopholes and reforms the tax system to make in fairer for the middle class.


An autopsy report shows that the man who struggled with police officers in a Minneapolis home Friday afternoon died of multiple gunshot wounds. The Hennepin County Medical Examiner? report doesn't say who shot 22-year-old Terrance Franklin, but police say he tried to take a machine pistol from an officer after they chased him into a home. The unanswered questions include who fired the shots that killed Franklin and if police cars entered an intersection on a red light when the emergency appeared to be over. 24-year-old Ivan Olivares was killed when his motorcycle collided with a police SUV headed to the scene. Police say both the shooting and the crash are active investigations, and investigators aren't yet ready to provide more details. Two police officers were shot in the legs; Officer Michael Meath was released from the hospital yesterday (Sun), and Officer Ricardo Muro is hospitalized in satisfactory condition. A passenger on the motorcycled is also hospitalized.


The search continued over the weekend for a missing Eden Prairie woman, with hundreds of volunteers fanning out in areas near St. Cloud, Sartell and Victoria. 24-year-old Mandy Matula was last seen with her ex-boyfriend, who shot and killed himself in the Eden Prairie Police parking lot after he was called in for questioning. Several of Kira Trevino's family members were among those searching for Matula in Waconia. Trevino had been missing since February and her body was pulled from the Mississippi River in St. Paul on Wednesday. Her husband Jeffery is charged in her murder. The body of a third missing woman, Danielle Jelinek, was found in a Chisago area swamp on Friday. She had been missing since early December. Jelinek's body was found near the home of the man deputies say is a suspect, her onetime boyfriend, Aaron Schnagl. He is in jail on an unrelated drug charge.


About 50-thousand people took part in the 21st annual Race for the Cure Sunday at the Mall of America in Bloomington. Together, the group was able to raise two-and-a-half million dollars. Of the proceeds raised, 75 percent stays in Minnesota to help uninsured and underinsured women in their fight against breast cancer. Proceeds also fund grants for Minnesota breast cancer research teams. The remaining 25 percent of the proceeds fund breast cancer research programs.