Candidate filing begins Dec. 1 for April election
It's paperwork time for Wisconsin candidates seeking office in local government.
Nomination papers for the following offices can be filed between Dec. 1 and 5 p.m. Jan. 2. Spring elections will be held April 3, with primary elections preceding on Feb. 20. Candidates can check with local boards or municipalities to determine whether their process calls for declaring candidacy, circulating paper nominations or January caucus meetings to circulate papers.
The following seats and issues will go before voters in April:
• Wisconsin Supreme Court justice (Mike Gableman, incumbent)
• Elimination of state treasurer referendum
• Pierce County Board: All 17 districts, currently held by Robert Mercord, Prescott; LeRoy Peterson, River Falls; Jon Aubart, River Falls; Ruth Wood, River Falls; Mike Kahlow, River Falls; Ben Plunkett, River Falls; Scott Bjork, River Falls; Dean Bergseng, River Falls; Ken Snow, Spring Valley; Paul Fetzer, Elmwood; Neil Gulbranson, Ellsworth; Dale Auckland, Ellsworth; Dan Reis, Ellsworth; Bill E. Schroeder, Hager City; Jerry Kosin, Prescott; Jeff Holst (chair), Hager City; and Mel Pittman, Plum City.
• Bay City Village Board: Two trustee seats, Norman Baker and Davis Niebeling
• Ellsworth Village Board: Three trustee seats, Michael J. Steele, Richard Sweig and Dick Hines
• Ellsworth School Board: Two board seats, Kathryn Feuerhelm and Gary Brown
• Elmwood School Board: Three board seats, Susan Dzubay, Craig Feuker and Gabriel Weix
• Elmwood Village Board: Three trustee seats, Josh Bleskacek, Neil Boltik and Rick Stohr
• Maiden Rock Village Board: (caucus): One trustee seat, Pamela Hinrichs
• Oak Grove Town Board: (caucus in January), two supervisor seats, Eugene Schommer and Debra McClure
• Plum City School Board: Two board seats, Gail Fisher and Michael Whipple
• Plum City Village Board: Two trustee seats, Peggy Gilles and Kent Gilles
• Prescott Common Council: Mayor, David B. Hovel; two alderperson seats, Joshua Gergen and William Dravis; municipal court judge R. Patrick Eich
• Prescott School Board: Two board seats, Tanya Holub and Mark Helmer
• River Falls City Council: Three alderperson seats, Todd Bjerstedt, Jeff Bjork and Scott Morrissette; mayor, Dan Toland; municipal judge, June Cicero
• River Falls School Board: Four board seats, Alan Tuchtenhagen, Kellen Wells-Mangold, Mike Miller and Mike Stifter
• River Falls Town Board: Two supervisor seats (January caucus): Joe Mahoney and Brad Mogen
• Spring Valley School Board: Two board seats: Peter Coyne and Brian Wang
• Spring Valley Village Board: Three trustees (circulate papers, not caucus) Dale Jacobson, Matt Huepfel and Rich O'Connell)
• Trenton Town Board: Two supervisor seats (circulate papers, not caucus): Herbert Oberg and Randy Trok)