Bridge replacement project underway on I-94 over Kinnickinnic River
On Monday, April 1, 2019, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) began a bridge reconstruction project near the townships of Kinnickinnic and Warren in St. Croix County. This project involves the removal and replacement of four bridges along I-94 that run over 130th Street and the Kinnickinnic River. The new bridges will be widened to accommodate a future six-lane interstate highway.
James Peterson Sons, Inc. is the prime contractor for the $17 million project; 90% of the project will be paid with federal transportation funds; the remaining 10% will be paid with state transportation funds.
Proposed traffic impacts
During construction, single lane closures will be restricted to off-peak traffic periods. Four lanes of traffic will be maintained for most of the project, and temporary median crossovers and bridge structures will be utilized as a form of traffic control.
Full closures of 130th Street will occur throughout the project for critical overhead bridge work (i.e. demolition, girder placement). These closures will only be maintained overnight.
Construction is currently scheduled for completion by early July 2020.
For more information regarding traffic impacts, transportation news and improvement project updates in Wisconsin's northwest region:
• Follow us on Twitter: @WisDOTnorthwest
• Visit this project's 511 website: " target="_blank">projects.511wi.gov/i94kinnickinnicriver/